[blindkid] 4th Grade Math and introduction of technology

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Thu Feb 5 18:36:15 UTC 2009

I think the issue probably is the positioning, as you suggest
below.  It seems to me that learning how to do math on paper is an
additional skill to learning to do it "without looking"--so, mentally
or on a computer.  I am willing to guess that the on-paper experience
with arithmetic forms the solid foundation for doing algebra and
geometry later on.  I would want you son to have the advantage of
getting the same level of experience with this as the sighted
children in the class.

I would probably keep the question of whether or not the drill method
is good or bad separate from the question of whether or not Na'im
should do all his long division on the braille writer.

Things to consider:
    * Is the class required to show all their work?  If so, Na'im
should show his work, too, whether on paper or using Math Window and
taking a picture, as some have suggested.
    * Does Na'im have an efficient method for setting up the problems
that would minimize difficulties with the spatial aspect?  (There's a
section on setting up math examples in Bridge to Braille.)
    * Last but not least...this, too, shall pass!  He won't have this
kind of homework forever, thank goodness.  If he can stick it out,
then he can grow up and tell his kids how back in his day he had to
do TWENTY long division problems EVERY NIGHT (and walk to school up
hill both ways, do his homework by candlelight, etc.!)
Fractions and decimals are not nearly so bad!

Carol