[blindkid] Won't Roll Over

SUSAN POLANSKY sepolansky at verizon.net
Fri Feb 13 01:33:33 UTC 2009

Tell her to take a hand towel, fold it in half [top to bottom] then roll it up, place the baby on her belly on top of the rolled towel with the towel going across her chest at the nipple line. Place the baby's arms over the towel so she looks like she is ready to do a push up. She should have her palms down with elbows on the floor. If she hates being on her belly then she will probably hate this position so start out with her there for a few minutes doing this several times per day gradually increasing the time. Place a sound producing toy on one side at a time to encourage her to turn her head to the toy, hold the toy in front and slightly above her head to encourage her to lift her head toward the sound.
For rolling if a PT has not shown her how to help the baby roll then she will need to breakdown the movements of rolling over by doing it herself and paying attention to how she places her arms and legs to roll easily form back to belly. Then move the baby in the same way, breaking down the steps of rolling over to do one step at a time with the baby. Make a game of it rolling baby across a carpeted room and back. Jason hated his belly and his right side, he hated being on his belly so much that I think he learned how to roll lover just so he could get himself out of that position. Hope this makes sense.
 Susan