[blindkid] RFB&D fundraising

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Thu Feb 19 01:24:40 UTC 2009

Friends,
The statement was made in the fund-raising request:
"because braille is difficult and slow." Exception was taken to that
statement because that statement is untrue. The fact that reading
braille may have been slow for a particular child during a particular
period in his life was not made. It simply said that reading braille
was difficult and slow. Therefore, the criticism of the inclusion of
such a statement, without  further qualifications or explanation, is
totally valid. The objectionable statement  was misleading and is,
therefore, harmful to the cause of promoting a positive view of
braille. Everything else, by way of argument, is not relevant. It
doesn't matter who likes or needs audio books. How useful audio books
can be to college students or to blind grade-schoolers without good
inaginative skills, or even how they helped a child learn his braille
contractions is simply not the issue. There's no point in getting all
emotional about how valuable audio books have been, are or will
continue to be. This objection isn'at about audio books. It's about
someone sending out letters asking for money to produce audio books
for blind people because braille is difficult and slow.
As braille is not difficult or slow means that an untrue statement has
been put in print and circulated to the public.
Those who object to such statements objected and, continue to object.

It is my hope that this discussion will aid those who write future
fund-raising letters to choose their words and their examples more
carefully.

Cordially,

Heather Field