[blindkid] RFB&D fundraising

Michele Chauvin michelechauvin at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 16:20:29 UTC 2009

Below is an email from Mary Alexander, Cooper's mom.  She also works with RFB&D.  Sounds like she is willing to address any concerns others have regarding thier services and how they compliment rather than compete with Braille.

As a sighted person, I often use auditory formats for learning: audio books, TV, movies, etc.  If all I saw were videos of everything without any audio, I would learn very little about anything.  Reading with my eyes is not the only way I gather information.

Likewise, my daughter, who is blind due prematurity, also learns in various ways.  She is learning to read and write Braille at her own pace, and I will never let up on that goal.  However, she also enjoys listening to audio books.  Not anything RFB&D, yet, but things like Dr. Seuss stories or fairytales on CD.  I believe it enhances her experience and understanding of stories, as she does not have the luxury (at this point) of a vivid imagination.  One has to have real life experiences to create such a thing.  One also has to have the capacity for this creativity.  I believe it's important to remember that blind individuals come in all kinds of packages, just like sighted folks.  Sighted folks are as varied in interests and abilities as snowflakes, or so they say.  So are blind folks.
 Michele Chauvin