[blindkid] Teaching toddlers Braille

Susan Harper sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org
Wed Feb 25 17:19:55 UTC 2009

Hi Margie and Deryck,
     We have twin 2 and 1/2 year olds.  What we have been doing is reading
books to them since they were little, just as we would a sighted toddler.
However, those books are also in Braille and some we added textures and
shapes to the pictures that are somewhat representative of the pictures or
what I think would be helpful.  I also have the magnetic letters which also
have Braille on them, so the can play with those on the refrigerator.  I
have Brailled the Fisher Price and other books that recite nursery rhymes
etc.  They are electronic, but I added the Braille.  The book I used to
learn was "Just Enough to Know Better".   Our BESB (Board of Ed. Services
for the Blind), also provides us with commercially Brailled books.
   The best thing that our BESB worker provided us with is books in a box.
This contains a Brailled book and all the things that go with the story.  An
example is a story about owls would have stuffed owls and maybe feathers, a
branch from a tree, etc.  You get the idea.  As the story is read these
items are given to the child to "see" with his/her hands.
    I hope this helps.
Blessings,
Sue H.