[blindkid] Teaching toddlers Braille

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 26 05:50:43 UTC 2009

Hi Margie & Deryck,
This is a great question. There really is no right way to do this.
As Sue describes, you want to immerse your child in braille.
I have an almost 8 y/o & a 12 year old. They read & write in English &
Lithuanian braille.
Kids who are exposed early to braille literally can eventually learn to read
as fast or even faster than their sighted peers. This is a fact.
There are a number of organizations that produce inexpensive print/braille
books for toddlers, including www.seedlings.org, www.nbp.org, & the Braille
Institute in Los Angeles.
It is easy to add braille labels to toys & other items to make them more
interesting & accessible.
I have written about early braille exposure. I wont claim that this is the
right way to do it, but it is one approach & these are things that have
worked for us.
If you want to read more on this for ideas, here are the direct links. I
have included links to specific resources in the articles.
1. "Braille Literacy -- It's A Family Value"
(www.nfb.org/nfb/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=61&SnID=44365653).
2. "Equal Expectations: A Belief Paradigm or Politically-Correct, Feel-Good
Phrase" (www.nfb.org/images/nfb/Publications/fr/fr27/1/fr270107.htm)
3. "Enriching Your Blind Child's Life via Foreign Language Braille:
Practical Suggestions for Families and Educators Seeking Out Foreign
Language Braille and Other Foreign Language Resources with a Special Focus
on Spanish"
(http://knol.google.com/k/eric-vasiliauskas-md-drv/enriching-your-blind-childs-life-via/2fo8us37li3cv/1)
Best wishes & Good luck!
Eric V