[blindkid] parents need to learn braille too

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 02:04:14 UTC 2009

Just a personal experience on why parents need to learn braille...

Today I was looking over my daughter's school papers and found one with
grade of 75. I was surprised, because most of her work is at the 95 to 100
level. ( yes, we are proud of her.)
The teacher had counted off for spelling.
The first circled word was Minnesota. Ahbee wrote it correctly in braille,
but the transcriptionist incorrectly left out one N when interlining
it--writing it for the teacher to read.
Another place, Ahbee had correctly capitalized the word Lake, but the
interlining did not show the capital.

Anyway, I was able to catch these because I can read braille for myself.
Ahbee deserved a 95--she did misspell "uper" instead of upper.
The teacher will give her credit for it--I'm so glad I could read it.

 Joy Orton
mom of Ahbee, Grade 2