[blindkid] Leaving classes early

Colleen Davis bldhnds52 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 15:49:15 UTC 2009

My suggestion is that you have an opportunity to observe the class changes  to see what they look like. I teach at all levels and the halls can get pretty wild. It depends on the school's discipline "climate".

As an earlier post noted, passing time in the class is very social and a way the kids catch up with each other. It should also be noted that your son's schoolmates won't learn how to behave around him if they never have the opportunity.

Colleen

Andy & Sally Thomas <andysally at comcast.net> wrote: My son's O&M instructor has told him that next year in junior high he will be dismissed from classes 5 minutes early in order to get a head start into the halls to make it to his next class. I'm wondering if most of the blind kids out there get this "accommodation."  I personally think it is an opportunity to miss some afterthought the teacher has and to be singled out and isolated in the classroom. Walking to classes with friends is one of the few times kids have for private conversations.  Would you share your experiences with this?

Sally Thomas