[blindkid] Leaving classes early

Debby B bwbddl at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 15:54:33 UTC 2009

Sally, we battle this every year. Our middle school is huge, and classes are basically in one hallway, other than lunch and "specials" such as band. The week before school we practice the routes. They insist, even though it's not in IEP, that Winona leave early so as not to be late, "since she's such a slow mover." My theory is that if they'd EXPECT her to get there on time, she'd speed up! She always misses some assignment.  When tthe teachers complain to me, I've put it back on them. "You need to tell the O&M that Winona is missing work." and I've put it on Winona. "You need to tell him that you received a zero because you missed another assignment leaving early." This year has been better, and we got them to back off within the first weeks of school. It took teacher complaints, me in the office weekly, and Winona's complaints to get to this point.

It definitely hurts that peer interaction having an adult hanging around.  We've seen a huge difference in middle from elementary. Winona hardly knows a soul now, because no time is ever spent learning who is in each class, in the lunchroom, etc. (They have 3 different lunch periods). Socially, middle has been very tough on Winona.

 Debby
bwbddl at yahoo.com
www.nfbflorida.org/parents

Please support Braille literacy and programs for our youth by sponsoring me in
the Motor City March for Independence! Better yet, join the team of the FL Parents of Blind Children!
http://www.marchforindependence.org/goto/fpobc
http://www.marchforindependence.org/goto/debbyb