[blindkid] Bookshare - NIMAC News - a concern

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 29 18:47:45 UTC 2009

Hello Sandy and list:

     There is an on-going project known as Braille-In-DAISY that intends to
create software that will do a better job of processing DAISY or NIMAC
files. The NIMAC standard was copied from the DAISY standard. The people
working on this project are all volunteers and are from a variety of
countries. There has been lots of discussion in the group and a lot of head
scratching. Some of us were very surprised at how complex textbooks have
become with words in color, multiple fonts, sidebars, boxes etc. The bottom
line is that the process of marking up a book is far more complex than
anyone thought.

Regards,

Robert