[blindkid] learning media assessment for preschoolers

Andy & Sally Thomas andysally at comcast.net
Sun Jun 14 20:54:46 UTC 2009

I did a quick search and found the following information.  It states that an
LMA should be done at 3! It's supposed to help determine how your child will
access the curriculum.  It's not just about reading, it's about learning.
Here's the link too:
http://www.e-advisor.us/LMA/about.php?fontsize=normal&hicontrast
About Learning Media Assessment
Learning Media Assessment...

  a.. is an assessment for selecting the appropriate literacy media for
students with visual impairments. What is meant by "literacy media" is how
students access the general education curriculum.
  b.. offers teachers a framework or decision making process for the
selection of literacy media. It is a decision-making tool.
  c.. provides a decision and monitoring tool for both conventional and
functional literacy for students with visual impairments.
  d.. involves a team process and the collation of medical, educational,
family and student supplied data to make informed decisions.
Why perform Learning Media Assessments?

  Primarily because of Braille Bills, which require the determination of
literacy media exist at both the Federal and State level. These various
Braille bills assume that Braille is the modality to be used unless
otherwise demonstrated trough appropriate assessment. Learning Media
Assessment offers the tool to make that determination and monitor it over
time.

  For instance, the Legislative Changes in IDEA (Individuals with
Disabilities Education Act), which was just re authorized, states the
following about Braille:

    a.. "Consideration of Special Factors: The IEP Team also shall -
    . (iii) In the case of a child who is blind or visually impaired,
provide for instruction in Braille and the use of Braille unless the IEP
Team determines, after a determination of the child's reading and writing
skills, needs and appropriate reading and writing media (including an
evaluation of the child's future needs for instruction in Braille or the use
of Braille), that instruction in Braille or the use of Braille is not
appropriate for the child." 34 CFR Section 300.346 (a) (2) (iii) and 20
U.S.C. 1414(d)

What does this mean?

  This means that TVI's have to prove that, at that particular point in
time, a student with visual impairments doesn't need Braille. There exists a
false assumption that every child who is blind or visually impaired needs
Braille. What Learning Media Assessment is designed to do is to help TVI's
make that determination. Teachers of the Visually Impaired really have to
disprove the need for Braille. TVI's should therefore be documenting that a
child with, for instance, cortical visual impairment or severe cerebral
palsy, doesn't need Braille, but needs to be evaluated with LMA and can
learn in other ways. The key point here is that TVI's document that that
their students don't need Braille but that they do need other intervention.

What exactly does LMA assess?

  LMA assesses not just learning media but also learning style preferences
of the student (compensatory skill use). This is where LMA has often been
misunderstood to a high degree. One of the key things you are assessing is
learning style, which is very useful when working with young children with
visual impairments. A child's learning style is how they use vision, touch,
hearing, and other senses to gain access to information, either singularly
or in combination.

Specifically where should LMA be used?

  The LMA scale should begin no later than age 3 and transition to
preschool. It should be updated annually and/or as visual functioning
changes

  This scale should be used academically for kids who are in the general ed
curriculum and proceeding along an academic track. However, it should also
be used when dealing with functional literacy. LMA should be used with
children with more complex disabilities who need to become literate.

  LMA takes a broad definition of literacy, which is misunderstood many
times. Literacy is reading and writing. What children with visual
impairments do is reading and writing in some form. That form may be reading
and writing by using drawing. It can be reading, writing and expressive
communication. This notion almost takes a communication bend. Many times in
the field of visual impairments, TVI's look at just the Braille/Print
decision, but it goes much further than that.

LMA's Primary Goals, as outlined by Koenig and Holbrook:

  a.. "Examine efficiency with which student gathers information from
various sensory channels"
  b.. Types of general learning media the student uses, or will use to
accomplish learning tasks
  c.. "The literacy media the student will use for reading and writing"
(Koenig, Holbrook, 6)