[blindkid] Schools for the Blind vs. Education in PublicSchoolSystems

Brandy with Discovery Toys branlw at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 19 01:13:08 UTC 2009

Hi, I also live in Texas. My family moved here in 1992 from California when
I was 11 entering the sixth grade. I was here for the last six weeks of
fifth grade and it was quickly discovered I was very behind. After many
tests I still remember it was determined I would attend the school for the
blind. Then the academic population was much larger. They still have a
program for academic kids although it is smaller. When I entered the sixth
grade I was doing most things on a second and third grade level. They worked
with me and my family to determine our goals for me. It was agreed I had the
potential to go to college. They caught me up to grade level in a little
over 2 years. I then tried returning to my home school. It was a nightmare
of low expectations. My family didn't know the NFB then, so I called my own
ard at age 14 and asked to return to the school. I finished my education at
the blind school. I attended classes at the local public school, and at the
blind school. I participated in activities at both schools including
theater, band, swim team, cheerleading, student council, track and field,
girl scouts and much more. Yes I was busy. I think I had more opportunities
than I would have had at my home school. I was where people believed in me
and pushed me to be my best. I had both sighted and blind friends. I had
great training in blindness skills and academics. While I know the blind
school isn't the best for every child it is something to be looked at if a
child isn't getting the education they deserve to achieve their goals. It
must have worked as I just graduated from the University of Texas with a
degree in elementary education with minors in Special Education, and reading
difficulties.

My advice is to look at the whole child. Their strengths weakness, goals,
and interests. Compare the programs and see what will serve your child and
family the best. Hope this helps. Bran

"We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories.
Some take us forward, they're called dreams."
Jeremy Irons

Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Group Manager and Educational Consultant

Shop online any time!
www.playtoachieve.com
(512) 231-8697

Let me know if I can help with any of the following:
* Starting your own Discovery Toys business
* Best buy bundles allow you to shop at a discount year round
* How you can earn toys for free
* Gift baskets for all ages
* Gift certificates
* Office setups and much more