[blindkid] Braille reading speed-Good News and Bad News

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:22:24 UTC 2009

Dear Craige,
The bad news is that in a sense Mike has a strong point. It has been and
will be difficult to get a study based on true scientific based methodology
and standards. That does not mean some of us are not going to try and get
something, but it neither means that, that something will be something in
the end that is a true measure or something we want as a standard or believe
is reasonable as a standard for all.

Do we get one standard for the totally blind child who has had Braille since
the crib, another for the totally blind child who had no exposure until
school and then got few books, another few standards for the spectrum of low
vision and dual readers, another for the one handed, another for those with
poor tactile sensitivity, and then those with developmental delays, and then
those who have limited finger availability or function on either hand??? And
then within those also, a standard according to how much Braille they
actually got and how much vision or duality they have--with a sort of
cross-referencing standard? And what about the effect of low expectations
from teachers and parents--how might that be measured as affecting ability
to meet the standards or ability in a test subject person's measured speed?
These are the problems of which Mike speaks. On the other hand, I do think
we can still do something.

The good news is that "their", or the established professional circles, have
NO true scientific based research EITHER. So, there is really NO REASON NOT
to think that any child reading Braille could not meet the same standards as
set forth for sighted students--with reasonable allowance for that just like
in the sighted population there are some slower readers, and if the case of
some other disability or loss of hand enters in--some reasonable thinking in
how it might affect. The good news is that, we do have many Braille readers
who meet or exceed sighted standards, and they can be pointed out and
brought into meetings. When they are brought into meetings and read live and
in person it is very effective in raising expectations.

And the good news is that we do have a study, that is as good or better than
any of "theirs" by Dr. Ruby Ryles that shows the capabilities, when good
instruction and early reading is practiced (just like for the sighted), that
Braille readers can indeed be competitive with print readers. Her study also
shows a link between fluency in Braille and employment outcomes. It is
SOMETHING to bring to the table and it has been a strong and world over
recognized something.

So the yardstick you should use Craige is the yardstick in her class, and it
is up to us as parents to demand (not merely ask) that, bring the evidence
live, on video and on paper, to the IEP table, and REQUIRE THEM to PROVE
their low expectations through SCIENTIFIC DATA (of which they have truly
none).

The reading charts that have been circulated are not based on scientific
data, are from like the 70's, were done narrowly and even those who
historically have used the "highest" standard chart(Texas School for the
Blind) in their assessment kit have now at our urging reconsidered, admitted
to us (perhaps mostly privately so far, but have nonetheless admitted and I
have it in writing) IT IS/HAS NOT been TRULY SCIENTIFICALLY BASED, and say
oh anyway IT HAS ALWAYS been ONLY a GUIDELINE and SHOULD NOT be used to keep
low rates as acceptable (this part they will tell to teachers or parents who
write or call and ASK). TSBVI showed genuine interest in helping to
alleviate the "misunderstanding" in the profession that the chart they have
put out is NOT a TRUE STANDARD, and they also are trying to amend to a
higher standard (but in a way can't and have admitted problems and an
impossibility in publishing it because it also IS NOT scientifically
RESEARCH Based).

So there you have the good news and the bad for today. The strongest thing I
can tell you Cragie is to do ALL you can imagine to do to NOT accept the low
expectations which may come from your child's teachers and to get them
uncovered AS low expectations to the rest of the team. This has been done,
is being done, and will need to be done yet for sometime. Parent Power is a
great power. YOU hold them, you make them, accountable.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc