[blindkid] mPower and connecting to the class computer

Andy & Sally Thomas andysally at comcast.net
Mon Mar 9 22:25:52 UTC 2009

David tells me that there are 2 things that are needed--software on the
computer (this comes with the Braillenote) called braillenote pcsoftware.7.5
and a serial cable that also comes with the notetaker.  Here is the info
from the Humanware website
(http://www.humanware.com/en-usa/support/braillenote/faqs#visualdisplayfeature):

Can you please explain how I use the visual display feature of the
BrailleNote?
  1.. Ensure that the COM port that you are going to use for this connection
is not being used by another software application or hardware device.
  2.. Paste the BrailleNote Visual Display.ht file from the CD that
accompanies the BrailleNote to your PC's desktop.
  3.. Connect the BrailleNote to the PC using the null-modem cable supplied
with the unit.
  4.. Select the BrailleNote Visual Display.ht file and press "ENTER" to
open it.
  5.. Turn on the BrailleNote.
  6.. Open the BrailleNote's Options Menu by pressing SPACE with dots 1-3-5
(Function with O).
  7.. Press SPACE repeatedly to move through the menu until you reach
"visual display." To select the option, press ENTER.
  8.. To set the connection to Serial, press dots 2-3-4, (S). Select this by
pressing ENTER. The BrailleNote activity should now be displaying in text
format on the computer screen
  9.. You can change the size of the text font. Open the View Menu by
pressing "ALT+Y" and select the appropriate font option.
  10.. To turn the serial port OFF when you are finished, repeat steps 5
through to 8, except pressing dots 1-2-4 instead of 2-3-4 at step 8. This
will free up the BrailleNote's serial port for other applications such as
the Braille Terminal and ActiveSync applications.