[blindkid] niceness and meanness

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Tue Mar 17 01:01:53 UTC 2009

I'm probably in the "iron hand in a velvet glove" camp.  We must be
very strong and firm, but also try our best to remain civil and even
cordial-sounding (even when we don't feel it--I think that makes us
look stronger and less vulnerable).

I think when things get so intense, the parent needs to bring an
advocate to the meeting, preferably a blind NFB member or a
knowledgeable parent of a blind child.  In my experience, it's not so
much the crossing of the t's and dotting of the i's that goes off
track, but more the content--the blindness-related stuff that
districts don't know.

It's typical, btw, for a small or even medium size district never to
have had a blind student in anyone's memory.  They really don't know
this stuff, and as Carrie points out, they are embarrassed that they
don't know it.  Then when the TVI adds to the problem by having the
bias against braille--also all too typical--it only makes matters worse.

So, deep breath.  Get your ducks in a row.  Prioritize your
goals.  Plan your strategy. Get a mentor and GO GET 'EM!

Carol