[blindkid] niceness and meanness

Jessica Trask jess28 at samobile.net
Tue Mar 17 02:46:31 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,
I have to agree with everything that's been said in this thread. I
lived in Utah for 10 years. I lived in Park City for five of those
years. Middle School was just fine they knew even though I was the only
Blind/Visually Impaired student in the district for at least the first
two years I was at the middle school that I I was fully capable to be
in mainstream classes. The only blind student that I knew of in the
Park City School District joined me a the middle school for my last
year there and then she attended the middle school for my first year of
high school. Which was her last year at the middle school. Her mom was
smart enough to send her to the school for the blind for her high
school career. The high school experience that I had for the first two
years wasn't a positive experience at all. There idea of a placement
for me was  to put me in with the most severely disabled students that
they knew for a fact the that these students would be going to work
after the graduated from high school. They thought I was going to be
one of those students to go to work and not college after I graduated
from high school. They clearly didn't know how to deal with a student
where a visual impairment was the main problem and not a learning
disability. The fact they had it categorize as a learning disability
wasn't even correct category it should have been categorize as a
physical disability. The teacher we had our main problems with was the
teacher in charge of this self-contained classroom. It wasn't just me,
it was my mom, the teacher of the visually impaired and her boss who
didn't like this person. Fortunately, for me everything got turned
around once we moved to Salt Lake where I finished high with 2.7 GPA
which was OK but, I do believe that if I could have proved myself to
them in Park City that the GPA might have been higher then it was. I do
believe that this teacher didn't know what to really do with me. Keep
in mind during the five years I was in Park City I had a TVI for an
hour a day once a week. It wasn't until I moved to Salt Lake when  I
worked with a TVI two or three times week for  an hour and a half at
each meeting . I didn't officially start O&M Until I was a Sophomore in
High School.

--
Jessica Trask
www. samobile.net/users/jess28