[blindkid] Training wheels

Andy & Sally Thomas andysally at comcast.net
Mon Mar 30 14:16:29 UTC 2009

I agree with so many of the posters.  It can be a personality issue.  My
blind son (adopted) and sighted daughter (one year younger, adopted) both
went without training wheels at the same time.  My son was 6 and my daughter
5.  My son took to it immediately.  I don't know how he manages but he has a
good sense of where things are.  My daughter was very distressed about her
"performance" without the training wheels.  She is the one who ran into the
back of a parked car!  Now she's a great rider.  She just had way more fear
than her brother.  Having both a sighted and blind child I can sometimes get
a glimpse of what are personality issues more than disability issues.
Finding the right balance with any kid can be a challenge but as you see
from these folks, it boils down to what each individual kid needs to be
successful.

Sally Thomas

P.S.  We are currently looking into getting a tandem for longer rides.  Both
my son and husband want to get more exercise so we are hoping that will be a
good solution.