[blindkid] Conformer question?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu May 14 20:37:57 UTC 2009

Vickie,

Not a dumb question at all. As far as I am aware, the conformers-- as
in the clear items are generally used mainly for children because they
are so quickly outgrown in many cases. As kids get older the shells
are preferred because they are more cosmetically pleasing-- that is
when made properly, they look like typical eyes. (The down side is
that they are also a lot more expensive.)

Either should help minimize problems due to the open space where full-
sized eyes would typically be and they should both offer the same
benefits as far as cranial development, etc. I'd certainly go to the
Eye Doctor first and discuss your wish to see an Ocularist to get
conformers or painted shells. Ideally, the two professionals should
work together to provide a solution for you.

As to the rubbing and pressing, try your best to get her to minimize
that. Often certain visual sensations are brought about by the rubbing
and pressing (or so I have been told) and this causes people to want
to keep pressing. Once formed, it is a hard habit to break! When done
to excess this can cause long term or even permanent damage to
remaining eye tissue that in some cases has to ultimately be removed.

Richard