[blindkid] Conformer question?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu May 14 21:39:57 UTC 2009

I should correct an error from my earlier reply-- Our daughter, Kendra
is six-years-old. I think she got her most recent set of painted
shells at about age four but got her first painted ones at age two
(more specifically at about 25 months) and had started with her first
clear conformer on one side at about two months. We did find that at
such a young age with the painted shells she looked a bit "doll-like"
with the them in because the size of the irises and retinas was a bit
larger than they would typically have appeared but we were very
pleased with the overall effect.

Still, the most important thing to us by far was getting the
conformers which have a much more pronounced effect on bone
development as opposed to adding the immediate cosmetic effects of the
painted shells. (If we'd have waited longer to get the shells to
replace the conformers there would have been no long-term effect from
the delay as her body grew and developed-- the bones could care less
if what is pressing against them is clear or looks like a typical
eye....)

Richard