[blindkid] O&M question

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Sun Oct 18 18:17:09 UTC 2009

As and educator and a blind cane and guide dog user, I think that it does
sound a bit mundane regardless of age. I would suggest that the o&m
instructor find out what your child's schedule is for one full week, i.e.;
work on paths to and from the bathroom, if the same is out of the room,
which I doubt, but could come in handy especially in kindergarten. On more
then one occasion I had to send my kindergarten students to a bathroom as
ours was out of repair or occupied. Then too, to and from the main office,
in the event your child is called upon to say the pledge of alligence  or if
there may be a need to run something to the main office as a teacher's
helper, how about to and from the cafeteria, or to and from the library or
the gym or to and from the play ground. Or better yet, in the name of safety
the one route he or she would take in the event of a fire drill or some
other evacuation  which would require  your child to know how to get from
their classroom to a safe location. Just my 2 cents.

Albert J. Rizzi
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.
90 Broad Street - 18th Fl.