[blindkid] School cane O/M Issues

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 01:26:53 UTC 2009

Well doesn't she sound like a bright little ray of sunshine!

Lots of warning bells going off.  This woman sounds like a control freak.

Personally, I think *she* should submit in writing to *you* why her way is
the only right way to do things.
A quick thing you could send her about the tap technique is in "The Care and
Feeding of the Long White
Cane<http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/Publications/fr/fr15/Issue1/f1501tc2.html>
"
Chapter 3 describes it.  Send her that link and then ask her to send you a
link that substantiates her claim that it's only outdoor use.  Because you
are concerned mom and you want to educate yourself of course (smile)

I know what she means by the diagonal technique but I'm not sure how to
explain it. I"m sure someone here can.

She shouldn't use her cane at school because she doesn't know how to store
it?  It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to explain "This is how you
safely store a cane so you have it at hand but other people don't trip over
it"  Problem solved.

The nonsense about she needs to learn to use & trust her vision is the same
garbage we get for Hank.  If he could trust his vision, we wouldn't be
having this conversation.  I'm not pushing for O&M because I think a cane is
a snazzy accessory.  I want him to use a cane because his vision is not good
enough to trust.  When he "trusts" his vision, he trips and falls over
things he can't see.

To be ornery, I'd also ask the O&M person if Joli will need her cane in the
higher grades, should you be worried that her vision will be worse then?
If her vision is stable, why would she need a cane later but not now?

Holly
aka Hank's mom