[blindkid] Support needed, dual enrollment

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Oct 23 19:53:13 UTC 2009

Stacy,

We had a great first year in private (Montessori) school, followed by
a pretty miserable second year. One issue after another.  Same school,
same teacher &  staff. We never did figure out what happened-- not
even looking back from three years later.

The third year (pre-k) we changed to public school. Same TVI, Same O&M
instructor, and life was good again. Public School Kindergarten went
well too and now we are settling into a productive year in first
grade. Every situation is unique but there do seem to be a great many
challenges with private schools and vision issues.

Sounds like this is beyond informal "chats", so the first thing to do
is probably to request a meeting. You might try an informal one if
that seems an option, but it may well be IEP time. Changing schools
abruptly is going to be complicated. Even if the public school wants
to work effectively with you (hopefully the case) the logistics may
take a while to get in place, so weigh that against what you're having
to deal with now.

Do try your best not to let your anger come through in the meetings
and negotiations. That seems to shut people down faster than anything.
Believe me, I understand how upsetting all this can be, but we always
make every effort to let the people working with us feel appreciated
and to offer to work with them however we can.

In our case, by the latter part of year two in Monessori school we
were quite frustrated with things but we decided that a smooth
transition over the summer was best, but we were pretty far into the
year before we had decided our situation was not repairable.

Richard