[blindkid] Homeschooling Blind Children

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Oct 30 17:50:55 UTC 2009

Yes, there are no imposed limits but beyond a certain amount of
mandated block of serves which as I mentioned before are generally
filled by speech therapy, at least in our area, it is unrealistic for
most of us to anticipate long-term assistance from schools unless our
kids are conventionally enrolled.

I was thinking back over this from a few years ago and I am quite sure
that the specification (at least in our schools) was the end of the
year in which the child turns 5 which for some kids (like ours) would
buy you another school year-- Kendra turned 3-years-old 2-weeks into
her first school year, so we had services in private school
essentially all of her 3-year-old year, and her 4-year-old year. We
changed to public school after that for other reasons (problems with
the private school), but as she was five on the first day of school
the following year, my understanding was that she could have retained
services for that entire third year, just in case that effects anyone
reading this-- something worth checking on.

Richard