[blindkid] some questions for parents of blind high schoolers

Merry-Noel Chamberlain owinm at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 19:05:13 UTC 2010

Sally,
The amount of services one received truly depend on the needs of the students.  Some students I've had, I saw weekly, while others I saw daily.  Some students were Braille readers and the TVI is needed to simply order textbooks in Braille in a timely manner so they arrive in time to meet the needs of the student.  I had one student I saw daily because of the extra help he needed to meet his math graduation requirement.  He was learning Nemeth and was in special education but never received Nemeth instuction until he was in Middle school and that is when he became my student.  Now, TVIs are NOT tutors but often times, they are placed in that role.  Many times, TVIs are there as a consult in high school so their regular educatin teachers know how to meet the needs of the student who is blind/visually impaired.  Many times, it is the first time they've ever had a blind/visually impaired student in their classroom.  My goal as a TVI is to make it so
 that I'm not needed by high school other than ordering books or assisting as needed such as setting up the printer/computer or providing BrailleNote assistance - that is, if I get the student early enough.

If the student needs to see their TVI weekly, then talk to the TVI / school to make sure they received graduation credit for the time they are with the TVI.    Usually the class is done during the school day and not before/after school.  TVIs usually have the same hours as the regular education teacher so they may not be able to provide before/after school classes.

Make sure the IEP has specific time noted for instruction and specific time noted for consult with the teachers.  Don't have it stated as "direct and/or consult".

I hope this helps.  Feel free to contace me should you have any additional questions.

Merry-Noel Chamberlain, NOMCT & TVI