[blindkid] timed math facts

Merry-Noel Chamberlain owinm at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 21:12:32 UTC 2010

Joy,
It seems that for a blind student to do a "Math Mad Minute" in less than a minute, you need three people... One to read the math problem, one to answer the problems and one to write the answer down!  There is probably no way that the reader can also be the scribe in doing it in less than a minute (depending on the number of math problems.)  Now, if the reader/scribe had 30 extra seconds then maybe it can be done within that amount of time but it is not the fault of the student if it can't be read and written in less than a minute.

I would suggest, do it orally and mark the time down on how long it took when having one person being the reader and scribe.  Perhaps try to beat that time with each attempt.  With time, the 'team' (student and reader/scribe) will be able to come up with an average amout of time it takes to do the "mad minute". The other option is for her to simply Braille her answers and mark the amount of time it took her to complete the problems & try to beat it the next time.  Again, coming up with an average time and that average time can be her "minute" marker.  I think either of these options would be fair considering the medium choices.

Merry-Noel Chamberlain,  MA
TVI, NOMCT