[blindkid] cross country

Rosina Solano colemangirly at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 19:34:13 UTC 2010

Okay as per my earlier post I mentioned that Roman wants to run cross country in middle school this year.  From what I remember when my brother ran cross country (30 years ago) they ran alot at golf courses and the way was chalked.  I just got off the phone with the coach and have some questions for you all.

Sometimes when they practice they are on uneven ground.  Okay, I don't think it will be a problem as we are in the country and Roman runs around here all the time.  Yes, sometimes he falls but he usually just somersalts and then comes right back up running.  I know he dosen't have the best vision, but he really likes to run.  But sometimes they run on the road and downtown.  While he might fall down in uneven ground, I am much more worried about curbs and such.  They run in packs usually and so he would be with someone, but does he take his cane?  Wont it get in the way.  But can he depend on someone to call out "curb, ditch, or step"?  I don't really know how to go about this.  Taking his can would definately slow him down and he dosen't want to take it.  He is extremely adaptable and runs out here in the country with me without it, but then it is just the two of us and I warn him about tree roots and such.

Does anyone out there run cross country or know of anyone that does that could help us?  We really need some pointers.

Thank you in advance;
Rosina and Roman