[blindkid] service time?

Pat Renfranz dblair2525 at msn.com
Fri Aug 20 15:30:09 UTC 2010

Hi again Rosina,

My daughter is entering 9th grade and is on an A/B schedule.

The transition from elementary to junior high was difficult: 1 teacher to
many, balancing class work with special ed pullout, etc. She has sacrificed
electives in order to receive her services. There are lots of compromises.
We have tried many times to get some services after school. Our district
just won't do it.

I don't have any great ideas, but here are a few thoughts:

The amount of Roman's pullout time and other time with TVI should be based
on his IEP goals. I would suggest calling an IEP meeting to review the
goals, update as needed (with assessments, such as in technology), then
figure out time required. For example, how does he do his math? The
symbology will change every year; does he need instruction from his TVI to
keep up to date with Nemeth code Braille?

Being "mainstreamed" for Reading in the mainstream class sounds like a good
idea.

Why does he have PE and Athletics? Can one of those be substituted by Cross
Country practice? That would free up another class period, at least for now.

Orientation and Mobility: Does he receive training by an O&M instructor? Has
he had an assessment in this area, at different times of day/night? Can he
travel independently to use the bus, shop, get around school and
neighborhood, cross at busy intersections, etc?

Technology: How does he produce his work? Is he really able to keep up using
a Perkins Brailler? Does he get behind because the work has to be
transcribed by someone?
    My daughter survives in secondary school because of technology. Although
we've had difficulty finding people who can train her, it is absolutely
essential. Once the work is digital, there are many ways to get it to the
teacher, no transcriber involved.
    In our case, she uses a Braille Note for taking notes, doing most of her
homework (except math), taking tests, editing documents...; she uses a BN to
read, write, edit, then print the work in text to turn in (printers
compatible with the notetaker have been planted around the school).
    She started on a Pac Mate, but it was unreliable, very buggy, & not
maintained. She has found the BN more intuitive to use. If he has been
receiving regular, quality instruction with the PacMAte and it's just not
working, maybe it's time to try another device?
     She also uses a NetBook (a miniature laptop) with a screen reader
installed. Kids with low vision often use a screen magnifier. Or perhaps he
needs a way to magnify the board and the laptop screen--there are devices to
do this. Because the workload increases so much in secondary school, it will
benefit him long-term to learn and use technology in school.
    In other words: it sounds to me like he needs a technology assessment by
someone knowledgeable about technology for blind students.

Is Keyboarding taught in a way that someone who uses a screen magnifier or
screen reader can participate, or does he need specialized instruction?
Could keyboarding with accessibility software be taught during the pullout,
as an IEP goal?

As for carrying around Braille books: She keeps the current volume(s) (plus
one or two) in her classrooms, the rest are stored in a room she can get to.
Certainly the teachers can make room for a couple volumes! She has to bring
home volumes for the homework. That is a pain (literally). Tell him to make
sure he brings home all the volumes necessary to complete the assignment
(Braille volumes can break within an exercise)!

Oh my gosh, this turned into a long lecture. I sure hope it is useful! We
are dealing with this stuff right now, as school starts Monday. It's always
seat of the pants at first--very stressful (I guess that's why I'm venting).

If nothing else, please know I sympathize.

Pat
P.S. Like Richard said, if a doctor refused to give him a physical or,
furthermore, wouldn't sign off on the form for Roman to run on the team, get
another doctor!