[blindkid] no appreciation for praise

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Aug 27 03:00:23 UTC 2010

Kathy, I was trying to recall some books. My parents are retired music
professors and preforming musicians so I may tend to follow a
different path than some seeking a music teacher. Pretty much all of
Kendra's musical exposure has come though the family, Unfortunately,
even with the substantial resources available, Kendra prefers to do
things her own way. Her grandmother has taught piano on a wide variety
of levels from beginning up through college kids and Kendra is very
close to her, but Kendra refuses to take lessons so far from her
grandmother or anyone else. I think the day is coming (hopefully soon)
where she'll decide she wants to take lessons on her own. (What we
need is one of her friends to start taking and maybe then she'll
decide it would be "cool" after all..)

In any case, our intended approach was to get her prospective teacher
(my mom in this case) some information on beginning braille as we
didn't come up with any available braille-reading teachers at that
time then see what the teacher's comfort level was in giving it a try,
but regrettably the books we had gotten were lost in a house fire some
years ago and I'm not certain what we had located. I think they came
from APH. You might go to APH.org and enter braille music in the
search area and see what strikes you to look through and share with
any potential music teachers.

I'll try and check with mom and see what she thought of that from a
musician's perspective and to see if I can figure out exactly what
book we gave her then let you know.

You might also contact your local or state NFB affiliate and see if
they have any braille-reading musician members or known associates.

As someone else mentioned, you can get started with or without braille
music, though if things progress very far you'll probably develop a
need to have braille music available to read pretty quickly.

Good luck!

Richard