[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Thu Feb 18 13:05:04 UTC 2010

No disrespect, but you've got to be kidding me.  No blind people I know,
children or adults, down right brilliant to mentally challenged, men or
women use those anymore.  Many own them, and could use them in a pinch, but
honestly, no one uses them as a main means of writing or on a regular basis.
Some people in the fifty or older set still rely on them, because they were
not able to keep up with the changing technology, which I can understand and
sympathize with, but even my sixty year old blind mother laughed when I
showed her this, or rather told her that this had come up on list.  For
confidentiality reasons I never show any one who is not on the list, list
emails, and never give names or any spacifics..  I could honestly say that I
know over two hundred to three hundred blind people, and I asked on a list
serve for guide dog users, one for blind parents and one for blind students,
and the uunanomous answer was "You've got to be kidding"  I think her four
year old would best be served to learn how to use a cell phone or home phone
to call his mother and to dial 911.  I think he should be learning on a
braille note, voice recorder or how to use a victor reader or ipod touch.
Things like that, plus basic braille and print literacy.