[blindkid] Technology and Little Kid

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Feb 18 19:39:27 UTC 2010

My main basis for that is that our daughter still struggles with the
slate and stylus even with a good deal of exposure while she excels
with the brailler, PacMate, Braillenote, etc., and will soon (I
suspect) begin to master the qwerty options as well She seems to have
trouble with precise placement of the stylus to hit the right dot. I
do suspect if it were her only option, she's be better at it, but at
the same time, she can pretty well braille as fast as she might
dictate a letter. I cannot imagine a first grader (or anyone for that
matter) who can do that with a slate.

Again, I'm working with direct history from a sample of one child.
(Your mileage may vary!)

I can say this with some certainty though-- my pens & pencils will
always be second class citizens to my laptop and the reality is that
I'm, probably 10 or 20 times more productive with a laptop than a pen
and paper so I have no problem with that. Do any of us these days work
better without a computer? For myself, I draw the line at not having
the pen & paper / slate & stylus option available at all; that is
dangerous.

Richard