[blindkid] Testimony Against Putting theWashingtonStateSchoolfor the Blind Under Washington'sEducation Department

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Jan 27 02:42:38 UTC 2010

Heather:

I don't blame you for having a prejudice against schools for the blind. I
did also, having gone to the one we're trying to save now back when, at
best, it was a rather Dickensian place whose residential facilities were
more like an English public school of 150 years ago than a modern
educational facility. My parents (rightly) got me out of there and into the
public schools with no support from the school for the blind but with quiet
support from some of its teachers. But my parents did most of my brailling,
I used what is now RFB&D and we paid to have some books brailled and got
some tacit support from the program in the Tacoma Public Schools.

But things have changed a lot since then, due in great part to the creation
of the schools as separate state agencies at the behest of the national
Federation of the Blind of Washington. So my credentials should make sense
to you.

I ask you to consider the possibility that the problems at schools for the
blind have more to do with the specific schools than they do with the
inherent nature of schools for the blind. I have seen as many blind children
who felt isolated and who did not get social experiences in public schools
as I have such children at schools for the blind. In some places (in some
districts in our state, for example), there is little attempt to socially
integrate blind students and if one is the only such student in the
district, one is often isolated and I have seen kids who were much happier
attending a school for the blind where they new they weren't alone and where
they could bone up on their blindness skills.

Moreover, you speculate that absence of a school for the blind might "force"
local school districts to put more money into educating blind kids. I ask
you: what would be the forcing mechanism? It's all a matter of money and
(despite what many local districts will tell you),if one takes into account
*all* the costs of educating a blind student, the cost isn't that
diferent -- at least with respect to what local school districts here say
their costs are as opposed to the costs of attending WSSB.

I believe every word you say about that wretched school for the blind. There
was plenty of abuse at the school here when I went to it and one principal
was let go because he liked little boys a bit too much. But to tar and
feather all schools for the blind with the sins of one is painting with a
pretty broad brush.

Mike Freeman