[blindkid] Brailling options

Carlton Anne Cook Walker attorneywalker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 21:45:55 UTC 2010

Marie,

RE reading braille tactually.

I still read braille primarily visually.  I'm getting faster at it -- just
as with our children, practice builds speed and accuracy.

I do read braille tactually sometimes.  I am not good at it.  But, again,
practice helps.

I'm glad you brought this up.  It reminds me of something very important.
 My daughter, Anna Catherine, sometimes tries to read her braille tactually.
 After many months of fussing at her for this, I asked in exasperation why
she kept doing it.  Her answer: "Well, you do.  And so does [my TVI]."

Well, that was an "Ah ha" moment for me!  She wanted to be like her adult
role models.  Unfortunately, she rarely sees blind adults reading braille
(once-a-year national and state conventions are great, but consistency is
key).

I told her that the only reason I don't read tactually is that I'm not good
enough to do it.  She seemed skeptical, but I have continued to help her
understand that it's col to read braille with your fingers.  (And I continue
to model braille reading and to let her see me struggle with tactual reading
-- it's great to show her when she's better than Mom.)

O.K., long story short:  Learn braille braille.  Read it any way you can.
 Work toward tactual sensitivity, but keep moving forward.

> Take care,
>

> Carlton

P.S. After writing this, I have convinced myself of the need to find my
now-local chapter and start attending with Anna Catherine.  It is my job to
make certain she has more blind adult role models!