[blindkid] recess and social interaction

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 05:08:05 UTC 2010

Hi all,

This issue of social isolation is a quintessential problem that
afflicts many of us at some point while we are growing up, blind or
sighted, so as others have pointed out, it's not exclusively a
blindness issue. Having grown up blind I can remember and relate to
Ahbee's experiences based upon those experiences I had at around the
same age. In fact, I can vividly remember a particular day near the
end of the third grade when a girl who I thought was my "best friend"
ditched me at recess to play with another girl she claimed to be her
"friend" (implying that I wasn't) and though I can laugh about it now,
that incident was incredibly painful to me at the time.
I'd like to bring up a few points that haven't been mentioned yet:

-- As others have described, anything Ahbee can learn to do to
organize or initiate social interaction, rather than relying on others
to invite her to join them, will go far. So if she can invite
classmates to a party at her house, perhaps, or teach them a game or
activity that she enjoys and is good at, that would be advantageous. I
also agree with assessing the playground options and finding ways to
adapt particular games or activities so she can be an equal
participant.
-- You mention that different kids are assigned to help her in gym
class. I don't know the details of the situation but I wonder if it's
possible to set things up for her in gym so she can rely less on help
from peers. When I went through elementary school in the early '90's,
beginning in the second grade a child in my class (rotating each day)
was assigned to be my sighted guide throughout the day. I recall that
problems with being excluded or not invited to play with other kids
started at about that same time and though it might have been
coincidence, I've always wondered if the sighted guide system made
kids view me as more of a burden or responsibility than as a potential
friend or someone to have fun playing with. So the more independent
she can be, or the more necessary assistance can be relegated to
teachers, the better.
-- Finally, I can't overemphasize the value of friendships with other
blind children. Your TVI should be able to give you information about
local programs in your area in which she can participate to meet blind
kids her age. In Phoenix where I grew up, a nonprofit agency sponsored
a summer and weekend recreational program for blind kids that I
attended from the summer before fourth grade through high school,
which I colloquially refer to as "blind camp". I had some of my most
meaningful and emotionally significant social experiences at blind
camp, and when I was there blindness was no longer a reason for
exclusion or presumed inferiority. I couldn't imagine where I would be
today in my self-concept or social development without the healthy and
age-appropriate encounters I had with other blind kids there. Of
course a blind child isn't going to bond with every other blind child
they meet just because of blindness, but if friendships with other
blind children do form, they can be incredibly affirming. With other
blind kids I was able to have truly equal-status friendships that
taught me about give-and-take, trust, and other lessons that have been
essential to my relationships as an adult. I would also add that in my
experience blind children are much more apt than sighted children to
give direct, meaningful social feedback. Though sighted children
quickly learn not to tease the blind kid, other blind kids have no
qualms about teasing or criticizing strange or inappropriate behavior
(and I can say this having stood on both sides of the teasing fence).

I hope this is helpful; feel free to ask me more specific questions if you wish.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org