[blindkid] Do blind kids need personal aides in school?

Doreen Frappier dcfrappier at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 13:44:49 UTC 2010

Arielle,
I feel that a personal aide is a step for blind and visually impaired child to
enter the sighted school world. It is not usually possible for the teacher to
take time out to explain every detail to the blind/vi student. The aide serves
this purpose. This person's job should be to take the time to assist with the
activities that other children are engaging in, but not to do the work for the
children or tell them the answers. I monitored this closely as a parent. If a
blind/vi child is put into a sighted world with out someone to explain the
goings on, there is so much they miss out on. They may get through OK, but I
feel it is so important, at first, for young ones to understand what is going
on, for the aide to be their eyes. In some areas, it is not possible for the VI
to be with the child as often as needed, and this is where the aide is
important. My visually impaired twins had one aide between the two of them up
until 5th grade. When they moved up to middle school, we started to wean them
off of having aides, and started using them for clerical duties for the
children. We discontinued the aide in 9th grade. I really feel that with out the
aide in elementary school, they would have fallen behind their peers. They have
been on the A honor roll for their entire school career. I feel that I made the
right decision by having an aide.

Doreen Frappier