[blindkid] Rolling tip

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Sep 22 03:04:43 UTC 2010

Our daughter (now 8) started with a tiny little NFB cane at around 18 months of age (and if we had it to do over, I think we'd have started sooner-- somewhere around her second or third step!-- LOL...) For a couple of months (fairly early on) when she was having some "anti-cane behaviors", we agreed to let her try a heavier cane which also had a rolling tip. We did this figuring that she was better with a heavier cane she would USE than no cane at all. I think she mainly liked it because it was more like the one her O&M instructor used. Soon, we switched her back and not long after that (I'm happy to say) we got her O&M instructor to an NFB national convention. From then on, that instructor used an NFB cane for her teaching cane-- not only with her but I believe with all her students.

That makes me think-- are you modeling cane use with Jack, using one yourself at times? We found that quite useful with Kendra early on-- she like the idea of using a cane just like Mom or Dad or even her big sister (8 years older) so we'd all try and walk with her using "our" cane sometimes as well to make her want to try more. As far as tapping, I think virtually every child starting with an NFB (or I assume any) cane first slides the cane along before they begin to tap. I don't think there's anything wrong with starting there and using that as long as you need to unless and until it seems appropriate to move to other techniques.

There are couple of general observations I'd share from our early experiences-- First, even dragging a cane (any cane) in the beginning is better than not having one because the child is getting adjusted to having a cane in hand and it is really good to make that part of a routine early on, before kids are used to exploring with both hands free to the degree that they would be more likely to object to holding the cane, and second, as we had heard before we tried it (from people like Joe Cutter), we did observe in our short time using the heavier, rolling tip cane, the tip tends to pull little arms sideways until the cane is rolling along side a child and often, they leave them out there or let them roll around behind themselves and then drag them. In your case, it is hard to guess if the sideways motion would be as likely but either way, I wonder how the weight may effect his holding it.

One thing for certain, I'd absolutely follow Heather's suggestion and get a longer (and free) NFB style cane to have available no matter what other canes you may wish to try. The key here is that you're encouraging cane use. I don't think there's anything wrong with exploring options and seeing what works best as you continue to encourage independent travel for your son. With that said, for many cane travelers, ultimately the NFB cane seems an excellent choice. We're certainly happy with it for Kendra.

Richard