[blindkid] Rolling tip

Doreen Franklin doreenproverbs3 at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 22 15:13:07 UTC 2010

Heather and others ....

This is the other Doreen, from FL  -- interesting that there are 2 Doreen's on
this list ... I have the kindergartener with the ambutech cane. I have a
"stupid" question .... we are continuing to have problems with our district --
very long story but at least we now have a CERTIFIED (COMS) O&M instructor so I
am thankful for that!

Here is our history: Torrie just turned 6 and she just started a kindergarten
class; she was in a pre-k class last year thru the district. My hubby and I put
the cane in our daughter's hands back in March 2009. It was an NFB light cane
which she was able to use, but did get stuck in the cracks as well as on
the grass. It was suggested by a different O&M instructor (one from FL State
University which is the university teaching vis disabilities) to get an ambutech
because the rolling tip was easier in many settings, although the cane
was heavier. Torrie did not have instruction from the district until April 2010
- another long story -- but was able to use it and fold it! Her first O&M
instructor (different from this certified one above) taught her diagonal
technique only and she is using that one everywhere, but on the playground she
is learning 2-touch. (We have a screwed up system and I have been told to let
the "professionals" do the teaching and that my "technical assistance" is not
needed ... go figure that one out! I am trying to "obey" but it is difficult
knowing my child is not safe. I have asked for instruction/cues so that we can
reinforce at home and even that is "hard" to get!). Torrie received a
new Ambutech cane in August, which is too heavy for her and she has no upper
body strength to fold it ... unsure if that is even being addressed at school.
 I have a longer NFB cane for her which is clearly much lighter but I am not
sure the "what" she is being taught -- if she is being taught to feel the
feedback from the cane because she does use whatever limited sight she has. She
has had shades on with the cane and THAT is when she can actually use her other
senses for feedback from the cane. I suggested the shade to her old O&M, but it
was disregarded. her visual acuity has decreased from 20/70-80 in March 2009 to
20/800 in July 2010 --near vision; distance went from 20/100-125 in March 09 to
20/400 in July 10). She also has numerous other conditions including false
lenses for the cataracts which were removed, nystagmus, and high bilateral
myopia (which might be degenerative). There are a few more things, but those
interfere with her reading. I cannot get a new FVA or LMA until December!

Question .... with being told to basically back off, how do we get around the
length and weight of the cane? How do I propose it that maybe the NFB cane is
better? That she should be under shades for O&M instrux at school to help her
gain her confidence in the cane? I personally think she needs to use constant
contact (which is in the IEP) but don't even know how to approach any direction
from me to the O&M. More FYI ... we are and are not part of the IEP team ... we
have been told several times that we are not the "professionals", but I do know
more than most about my daughters vision and what she can and cannot do, but no
one wants to listen to us -- Yes, I am the 'problem' mom who is looking for all
the tools for my daughter to have and to know how to use those tools correctly.
I have not even had an "introductory" call or email from the new O&M ... which
does bother me. No info coming home from TVI or O&M on services rendered to my
daughter ... I have rely on the 6-yr old! I know .... We have an IEP scheduled
for next Wed and I want to write in that reports will come to me after services
with what was done with my child. She is getting bare minimum for services and
service times!

We are in a new school, and the only "returning" member from my old team is the
TVI and she is not even "recognizing" that my daughter's visual acuity
drastically decreased (per the ophthalmologist from Bascom Palmer that we've
been seeing for the last 4 yrs! they have even done further testing on her to
see why the acuity decreased and her pressures are high (no sign of glaucoma per
the photos at this point). The TVI told me that Torrie "can see a lizard on the
ground and can find the O&M at 10 feet away" ... everything I brought up to her
she literally refuted! My daughter did not even recognize me when I surprised
her for lunch and she could not tell which of her friends sat next to her --
both situations she was about 2-3 feet away from our faces. She cannot discern
things on my cedar chest unless she is RIGHT ON TOP OF IT ... and her friends
could tell things at 10 and 6 feet away. When she is reading large print (40
and 48 font sentences I make up and have her tell me the letters), the paper is
ON her right lens of her glasses and she is not using her left eye (she has no
convergence either). She also does not get all of the letters correct. When she
comes home, she is fatigued and very stressed. Doing the 1-2 pages of homework
is difficult, and last night, I decided we would do it over the weekend when she
is "fresh" and not stressed from school. She has behavioral problems which we
have been dealing with for the last year, and with school starting again 4 weeks
ago, her tantrums have increased (i know why but cannot get her to talk to us or
a therapist we are seeing). She literally wants to see like us is what she tells
me and she HATES her cane. The common sense things I tell her are jsut words to
her .... She has said she is "AFRAID" that the teacher will yell if she tells
the teacher she cannot see or needs to rest her eyes! How scary is that .... but
that is the PTSD I believe.

I know this is a lengthy way of asking how to persuade the district to at least
listen to me and "consider" what we are asking/saying. Should I have her use the
ambutech at school and the NFB one at home? Will that screw her up? (She is
smart but she also has ADHD issues and PTSD, and there may be autism/aspergers).
What are my "options" at this point ... I don't know how to approach this so
that Torrie can benefit without me becoming "the bad mother" even worse than I
am perceived at this point.

Any and all help and suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I know we
actually have rights but most times, we don't feel like they even want our
input, and unfortunately, Torrie is the one suffering!  I am very thankful for
this list ... it is awesome!!!!

Doreen  in Florida
mom to Torrie and Bryanna