[blindkid] Transition to Kindergarten

Erin Teply eteply at cfl.rr.com
Fri Apr 29 15:50:52 UTC 2011

I am preparing for our IEP roll-up meeting as my son Max will be starting kindergarten next year.  He is my first child to attend public school, so the process is new to me and I have so many questions around how they place kids in the classroom, what they consider, etc.   I also have questions as to what 'should be' on his IEP as educational goals aren't necessarily going to be on as he will have the same goals as everyone else.  I've got questions on what technology should be introduced, if any, along with his Perkins Brailler.  Because I feel like there is so much I don't know, I am sending a letter to the school prior to the meeting to make sure all my questions are addressed.

If anyone has a child close in age or can remember what they did prior to kindergarten with respect to placement, IEP goals, technology and anything else, please share with me what you can.

Thanks so much,
Erin Teply