[blindkid] Transition to Kindergarten

Carol Castellano carol.joyce.castellano at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 21:18:55 UTC 2011

Hi Erin,

If Max will have the same educational goals as his classmates, that
could be stated as the goal for each subject area.  The important
thing then becomes listing all the materials and equipment he will
use (and will be used on his behalf) so that everything in the
curriculum is accessible to him and ready for him throughout the school day.

I also always recommend having an explicit goal of independence so
that Max continues to make age-appropriate progress and so that this
idea--independence--is in the minds of the adults in his life at
school.  It is extremely important to avoid overprotection and
learned dependence.  There are many details on this in my book Making
It Work, if you'd like to check it out.

Best wishes,
Carol

Carol Castellano