[blindkid] Talking Books vs saving for braille reading.

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 22:35:40 UTC 2011

Hello Everyone I hope everyone had a grand summer.

I am having a bit of a quandary.  Abby is very much a beginning reader right
now.  She gets better and better. The books she reads are pretty basic and
don't really have much of a story yet.  She loves talking books.  I see it
as a good distraction and a good way to expose her to some exciting stories.
Also I think it better than TV for her. (she is a be of a TV addict  even
though she has to watch it with her nose almost to the screen)     She has
really gotten into the the Little House book series   I would prefer to save
some for when she can read them in braille but that could be a year off. She
is ready for more complex stories now.  She is 7 and in second grade and
is really bright. (don't all parents say that ;) ) she is just  behind
reading because she only started braille last winter (because she only
suffer her vision loss last year)  She is listening to On the Banks of Plum
Creek right now.  I am tempted to lie to her and tell her i can't find the
other books (bad mommy)  I want to 'save' great books for her to read.

How to others deal with this hard in between time? by the way I got an
American Girl Molly book off ShareBraille and she is very motivated to read
that. I know she will be reading it in a few months.
--
--Penny