[blindkid] Talking Books vs saving for braille reading.

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Tue Aug 30 22:59:04 UTC 2011

Here's a thought--what if you give her a braille copy of the book and
you get a print copy and you read to her, but she follows along in
braille.  Maybe she could read a little bit to you, as much as she
can handle right now.  And of course that will increase quickly.

EVERYONE says that the way to get faster at reading braille is to
read more braille.  One of the dangers of talking books is that it
takes the time away from braille reading.  Maybe you could talk to
the braille teacher and find out her plans for Abby regarding
contractions, fluency, and speed.  Maybe the timeline will be quicker
than you thought--or maybe you can move it up if that wasn't the
teacher's priortiy.

Carol

Carol Castellano
Director of Programs