[blindkid] on the subject of perspective

Carly B barnesraiser at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 15:55:56 UTC 2011

Wow! That was so interesting! A notable part for me was the realization on
the part of the researchers that perception is not just about what one can
see, but about tactile information as well... what was once considered
information only accessible through sight is also accessible through touch.

When they stated that the task of drawing the octagonal building was
difficult even for most sighted people, I wondered if it wasn't difficult
*because* of sight... too much input and distracting information, perhaps?

I think what Ezraf does is amazing and beautiful, just as anyone who
contributes something beautiful to the world is amazing.

Cool! And thanks for sharing!

:) Carolynn Barnes

P.S. Recently our family watched "Something the Lord Made" an HBO film based
on a true story of white surgeon Alfred Blalock and his black assistant,
Vivien Thomas (Mos Def), who teamed in the 1940s to develop a procedure to
save children suffering from a heart defect. But Thomas's status as a
second-class citizen prevented him from getting recognition, as Blalock took
all the credit. While the movie (which was excellent, btw) focused largely
on the issue and reality of racism at that time, there is a very
interesting segment in which Thomas performs delicate surgeries by closing
his eyes! The movie doesn't explore that, but it's obvious that Thomas finds
the tactile information superior to anything he could receive visually. Just
thought I'd mention it. :)