[blindkid] Colleges for blind students

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 18:33:58 UTC 2011

Hi Bo,

I don't know of any colleges for the blind in the United States.
However, blind students attend all kinds of colleges across the
country. There are now several electronic and audio textbook libraries
that enable blind students to get their books in a format they can
read, and many universities also have special offices for students
with disabilities that produce books in accessible formats. I am
president of the National Association of Blind Students, and we can
give you lots of information about how blind students handle college.
For more information about NABS, go to
www.nabslink.org
or join our listserv, NABS-L, on the NFBNet.org homepage.

Which college your daughter attends will depend on a lot of things
having nothing to do with blindness. What does your daughter want to
study? Is she able to get scholarships to help pay for college
out-of-state?

Some students prefer to start at a community college, or junior
college, in their city. Community colleges have smaller classes and
are less expensive than universities. Other students prefer to jump
into a university setting and live in a dormitory on campus. There are
blind students who pick both of these options and do very well. There
are also blind students who attend vocational or technical schools. So
don't let blindness be a deciding factor; your daughter can study
whatever she wants in whatever college setting appeals to her most.

Best of luck and if you have any specific questions feel free to write
me privately at
nabs.president at gmail.com

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org