[blindkid] Colleges for blind students

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Mon Jan 24 01:55:35 UTC 2011

Hi Bo,

I concur with Arielle's response.  I don't know if this is your first
child going off to college or not.  High school guidance offices
regularly provide workshops and information nights for parents and
students to learn about the college entrance process.  If you have
already had a child apply to college, then you know what that process
entails.  It is really no different for a blind student.  If this is
your first going to college, then make absolutely sure that your
daughter is included in all guidance activities about the college process.

If your daughter has a learning disability, you might want to look
into schools with programs that provide support such as tutoring and
a reduced schedule.  If she is just blind, however, she should do
just fine at any college :-).  The keys to success at college as a
blind student are the same as they are for most situations--in a
nutshell--ability to access information, ability to travel
independently, ability to use technology, skills of daily living, and
self-advocacy skills.

Carol