[blindkid] introducing a cane

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Jul 20 23:38:01 UTC 2011

I cannot believe I forgot to mention that the metal NFB tip also gives the best possible acoustic feedback and while it may take a while before a child learns to hear where doorways are and things of that nature, it is a process that begins early on.

Also, well before specific objects can be located by sound, it helps to know when you've hit the kitchen/bathroom floor or determine that you're in a big room or a small one. Roller tips and even the smaller fixed nylon ones are pretty much useless when it comes to acoustic feedback. The just make a dull thud. Again, these are features you could grow into if you need to transition to an NFB cane later, but if sooner works for him, so much the better...

Richard