[blindkid] New Technologies & Web-Based Education - How New Guidelines Impact Our Kids

Pat Renfranz dblair2525 at msn.com
Thu Jul 21 00:32:17 UTC 2011

Eric,

I mentioned the "Dear Colleague" letter briefly at the end of my
presentation on testing. Unfortunately there was not time to discuss its
importance in any depth. With the development and implementation of new
computer-based tests and computer-adaptive tests for measuring student and
school progress, it is critical that pressure be applied from on top--as
with this letter--and from the ground up--from parents and students--to
ensure these tests are accessible to and appropriate for blind/visually
impaired students.

The National Education Technology Plan, "Transforming American Education:
Learning Powered by Technology," also sets forth lofty goals for the use of
new technologies in the classroom, without much paying much attention to
accessibility.

We did miss you and your family. I hope all went well.

Pat