[blindkid] Girl Scout Book in Braille?

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 16:37:03 UTC 2011

Amber,
I am a girl scout leader..  Are they doing  journeys?  It sounds like it and
there should be an  book for available for the  girl. (every journey book
has one for the leader and one for the girl)  Is your daugher a brownie or
junior?   Does that mean there is braille books available.  Not sure.  There
is a place that used to braille books I don't think the journey books have
been brailled yet.

Also they are changing the books in September.  I got brailled brownie books
for my daughter from council.(they gave them to me, since they had been
sitting in a closet for over 10 years)   They will be out of date
in September but it has some of the materials,

So contact your council.  You may need to ask a few people to see if they
have any books sitting around in storage.   Then I would contact Girl Scouts
of the USA. They are planning on having the new books brailled at some
point.  They may have already  had the journey books brailled and get one to
your daughter.
Braille International  (http://www.brailleintl.org/) used to braille girl
scout books and I have gotten the following message a few weeks ago

We have some of the old girl scout books; none of the new. We have the
brownie handbook and try-its, the junior handbook and badgebook, cadette
handbook and interest projects for cadettes and seniors.

I am pretty sure you talking about the journey books though.    GSUSA wants
to be inclusive of all girls but this is an area they could really work on.

--
--Penny