[blindkid] Girl Scout Book in Braille?

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 2 16:02:41 UTC 2011

Hi Amber,
I know you have gotten some good suggestions.
My kids do quite a few "extracurricular activities" - youth organizations, Lithuanian Saturday school, church youth choir, religious ed, etc.
Have you checked bookshare.org? If they don't have the specific book you are looking for, you can specifically request it. We make requests from time for various things, including our school district's mandatory summer reading list books, and texts for my older son's confirmation class next year.
I have found the staff at Bookshare to be very receptive and responsive - they have truly been awesome. Requests generally take a few weeks or so to be processed. The range can be anywhere from a day or 2 to a few months.
Your daughter can then read them on her electronic braille notetaker.
Exact text - or something on the topic for lots of things - can be found on some Webpages or as PDF files, which can be copied & saved as WORD files & read off an electronic braille notetaker.
You will likely have to modify drawings & diagrams on your own.
I am a firm believer that extracurricular activities are important & totally do-able, but for them to be the best experiences, they often do require extra work (sometimes a lot) & coordination on the part of parents & the folks running the programs - it is usually a very much learn as you go process.
I can't imagine trying to function without Adobe Acrobat Pro & Duxbury.
Eric V