[blindkid] bike riding

Aaron Cannon cannona at fireantproductions.com
Wed Mar 30 00:38:18 UTC 2011

Hi Marie.

Your guy is luckier than I was.  My Mother didn't ride, and my Father
was long gone by this time, so I rode independently.  I am not totally
sure how I didn't get creamed.  Nevertheless, I stuck to riding up and
down my street on the sidewalk.  I had some light perception, so I
could sometimes (and sometimes not) kinda' sorta' tell where the
sidewalk ended and the grass began, and if I got it wrong, I only
crashed in the grass, so it wasn't a big deal.  I just had to be
cautious the first time, in case there was a vehicle sticking out past
the end of a driveway, or another kids bike that was left out on the
sidewalk.

When I was about 13 or so, my Mom bought a tandem bike, and I was of
course then able to broaden my bike riding horizons a lot.  There was
usually someone sighted willing to act as captain, so I was pretty
fortunate in that regard.

Hope this helps.  I think you're doing the right thing by letting him
figure out what works.

Good luck.

Aaron