[blindkid] parents of older children at convention

Carol Castellano carol.joyce.castellano at gmail.com
Tue May 17 01:07:26 UTC 2011

Hi Marsha,

My daughter (blind) as a teen used to enjoy the youth activities and
the teen room.  She also attended meetings and events like the Talent
Show, Mock Trial, and play.  I think her most favorite activities,
tho, were meeting up with people, hanging around in rooms, and going
out to eat.  One year--there was a boyfriend!  (See Convention Magic
@
<http://www.nfb.org/legacy/BM/BM01/BM0107/bm010706.htm>http://www.nfb.org/legacy/BM/BM01/BM0107/bm010706.htm
by Anonymous :-).)

My son (sighted) as a teen volunteered in child care, marauded about
the hotel, and stayed up REALLY late with a group of kids (with whom
he is still friendly).  He used to tell people he had friends from
all across the country.
(You can watch my son grow in his views in his three brief articles
in Perspectives on Blindness: Siblings Have Their Say  @
<http://nfb.org/legacy/fr/fr10/fr03ss24.htm>http://nfb.org/legacy/fr/fr10/fr03ss24.htm
.)

I think they both thrived in the freedom we allowed them in the
relatively restricted environment of the hotel and grounds.  All in
all for us, Convention has been an activity that has given our family
many shared experiences and cherished memories.

Best wishes,
Carol

Carol Castellano
Director of Programs