[blindkid] parents of older children at convention

Wagner, Gail Katona Y wagner_g at aps.edu
Tue May 17 03:19:07 UTC 2011

My sighted son attended conventions with me from the time he was 13 - 18. He found wonderful friends - mostly sibliblings - he also worked in NFB camp, spent a little time in the teen room, hung out, worked our table in the exhibit hall, was "required" to attend some sessions, ran around the hotel, stayed up late and slept in. I must confess that is was hard for me to "let go" and let him be. Once in Atlanta a bunch of the teens (probably 10 of them) were taking the "subway" to Six Flags. I went so far as to ask the consierge (sp) if it was "safe" to do it. He asked how old my son was and when I said 15, he actually chuckled.....just saying, Convention is a great place for teens to be teens and be relatively safe and contained.